TANTALUM - Driving innovation
Tantalum is one of the rarest elements on earth. This platinum-gray colored metal has a density of 16.6 g/cm3 which is twice as dense as steel. Also, it is highly ductile at high temperatures, very hard and has excellent thermal and electrical conductor properties. Its melting point of 2,996°C is the fourth highest of all metals.
A metal with nearly endless potential
With its combination of special physical and chemical properties, tantalum is a key product in many applications:
- Its ability to form an extremely thin oxide coating which provides a protection layer, makes tantalum the material of choice in the production of small, high quality capacitors
- Tantalum's chemical corrosion and high temperature resistance properties provide many benefits to the chemical process industry. For this reason, tantalum is used in the production of reactor coatings, heat exchangers and pipelines
- In the aerospace and energy industries, tantalum increases the corrosion resistance of alloys in turbine blades
- Tantalum features a high degree of biocompatibility. For this reason, it is used in medical technology as a radiographic contrast agent and in the production of bone replacement material and implants
A wide variety of tantalum compounds (e.g. tantalum chlorides or lithium tantalates) provide outstanding material properties that are of critical importance for modern, advanced industrial applications:
- During the production of tool and cutting steels that contain carbides, tantalum and niobium carbide are added to increase performance and stability
- Manufacturers of optical lenses use tantalum oxides to improve the refractive index of their products allowing for thinner lens profiles
H.C. Starck is one of the leading suppliers of tantalum products
As one of the leading suppliers of tantalum metal powders and compounds as well as tantalum semi-finished products and finished parts, H.C. Starck is a reliable partner for customers in all industries. Our tantalum products are characterized by their consistently high quality and customized application technology support. With our experience and expertise in application technology, we can provide engineered product solutions to meet our customer’s demanding technically challenging and unique requirements.
Tantalum recycling system
Thanks to our innovative tantalum recycling processes, we are able to reclaim pure tantalum from almost any type of tantalum containing scrap or production by-products.
H.C. Starck only processes raw materials from ethically acceptable, conflict-free sources. This applies both to the procurement and processing of tantalum. We only purchase raw materials that meet the specifications of the OECD ("Due Diligence Guidelines for Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas"). Our company and its tantalum processing sites are certified in the context of the Conflict-Free Smelter (CFS) Validation Program of the independent Electronics Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC) and the Global e-Sustainability Initiative (GeSI).
Powders & Compounds
- AMPERTEC® Tantalum Pentachloride (TaCI5)
- Particle Acceleration parts made of W, Nb, Ta
- Tantalum Capacitor Paste (Ta)
- Tantalum Capacitor Powder (Ta)
- Tantalum Carbide (TaC)
- Tantalum High Purity Powder (Ta HP)
- Tantalum Metallurgical Grade Powder (Ta)
- Tantalum Niobium Carbide (TaNbC)
- Tantalum Oxalate Solution
- Tantalum Oxide, Tantalum Pentoxide (Ta2O5)
- Tantalum Recycling