MOLYBDENUM GLASS MELTING ELECTRODES (GME)
Superior Products for Critical Glass Operations
To improve the glass industry’s critical applications in melting, homogenizing, feeding and shaping of glass products, H.C. Starck offers superior products and services:
- Molybdenum Glass Melting Electrodes (GME)
- Mo Sheet and Plate for Tank Reinforcement
- Oxidation Protective Coating
- Tubular Targets for Large Area Coating
We offer a variety of electrodes for the most demanding glass melting processes:
- Standard and tapered threads including standard metric threads
- GMEs from 1.25" (32 mm) to 8" (203 mm) in diameter
- Machined or centerless ground surfaces for assurance of concentricity and straightness
- Custom fabricated top mounted electrodes and bi-metallic
- Uniform recrystallized grains for creep resistance
- High purity (99.95 % minimum)
- Bubble free, low carbon electrodes
Molybdenum is the “BEST” Choice
H.C. Starck‘s molybdenum is the “best” choice for electric heating in the glass melting process:
- Excellent strength and stability at temperatures over 2000 °C
- High thermal and electrical conductivity
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE)
- Resistance to corrosion
- Minimizes detrimental glass discoloring
- Good machinability
Traditional and Premium Electrodes
H.C. Starck offers our high purity molybdenum (Mo) and premium molybdenum-zirconium (MoZrO2) glass melting electrodes. Available coated and uncoated with conventional threads and tapered threads for ease of installation.
Glass Melting Electrode Chemical Characteristics1)
Chemical compositions of molybdenum
powders for glass melting electrodes with minimum and maximum limits are as
HIGH PURITY MOLYBDENUM ELECTRODES
Mass fraction in %
1) Information on testing methods available upon request.
PREMIUM MOLYBDENUM ZIRCONIUM ELECTRODES
|Mo (By Difference)||min.||98.50 %|
Maximum variations from straightness will be 0.030 inch per foot (2.50 mm per meter). Maximum variation in cut lengths will be +1/4“, -0 inch (+6.35 mm, -0 mm).
Special tolerances available upon request.
U.S. and European standard and special threads are available on either or both ends.
GMEs Produced by Powder Metallurgy
H.C. Starck’s glass melting electrodes (GME) are manufactured from pure molybdenum and supplied to customer requirements by forging and machining.
Glass melting electrodes will normally be
shipped as stress relieved. Material can be supplied in the re-crystallized
condition upon request.
|1 1/4||31.7 ||+/- 0.015||± .38||0.015||0.38|
|1 1/2||38.1 ||+/- 0.015||± .38||0.020||0.51|
|2 ||50.8 ||+/- 0.030||± .76||0.025 ||0.63|
|2 1/2||63.5 ||+/- 0.030||± .76||0.025 ||0.63|
|3||76.2 ||+/- 0.040 ||± 1.0||0.035||0.89|
|4||101.6||+/- 0.040 ||± 1.0||0.050 ||1.27|
p ≥ 10,2 g/cm³
The material can be offered as forged.
All H.C. Starck Hermsdorf glass melting electrodes (GME) are inspected by ultra-sonic test according to DIN EN 583.
Dimensions and Tolerances
The material can be supplied in the following standard diameters:
- 32.0 mm (1 ¼“)
- 50.8 mm (2“)
- 63.5 mm (2.5“)
- 76.2 mm (3“)
- 101.6 mm (4“)
- 127.0 mm (5“)
- 152.4 mm (6“)
Tolerances: +/- 0.5 mm in lengths up to 2.5 m. Other diameters are possible according to customer request.
Maximum variations from straightness will be 0.030 inch per foot or 1.5 mm / m. Maximum variation in cut lengths will be +1/4”, -0 inch. Special tolerance on request.
U.S. standard and special threads are available on either or both ends.
Glass melting electrodes will be supplied with centerless ground or machined surfaces of 128 micro inch or better. Minor surface imperfections may be removed by conditioning while maintaining the dimensional tolerance.
Superior Molybdenum Glass Melting Electrodes
High Performance Solutions for the Glass Industry