Sliding rings for liquid-lubricated mechanical seals and gas seals in pumps, stirrers, mills, compressors, turbines and desulfurization plants. Primary shaft seals in naval construction and shaft seals in the gas- and oil extraction.
SSiC, SiSiC, Al2O3 and Si3N4
- high chemical corrosion resistance
- high temperature resistance
- high thermal conductivity i.e. rapid dissipation of process heat
- low density, i.e. small mass moment of inertia
- high wear resistance due to high strength and hardness
- good tribological properties
Sintered silicon carbide is the most common material for liquid-lubricated mechanical seals due to its excellent chemical resistance and thermal conductivity. For high-speed gas seals the preferred material is silicon nitride with highest strength and wear resistance.